HOME > ABOUT US> History of the School of Engineering

History of the School of Engineering

Founded in 1920

The Yokohama National University School of Engineering was originally established as Yokohama Industrial High School in January 1920. Counting from then, the year (2010) marks the 90th anniversary of the school’s founding.

1949: Transition to a School of Engineering Composed of 6 Departments

On May 31, 1949, the Yokohama Institute of Technology became the Yokohama National University School of Engineering, an institution composed of six departments: Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Chemistry (subsequently, Applied Chemistry), Electrochemistry, Architecture and Building Science, Naval Architecture, and Electrical Engineering. The School of Engineering’s Second Section was composed of two departments: Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Chemistry (subsequently, Applied Chemistry).
Yokohama is a city that has an international port, is located near the capital region, and is home to many leading companies in key industries. Thus, as the School of Engineering has developed, its instructors and students have been blessed with opportunities to directly and indirectly come in contact with the latest science and technology.

1963: Reorganized into 4 DIVISION

In 1963, a master’s program was established, the first at any university in the new national school system. In 1985, a doctoral program was added. At that time, in order to deal with society’s demand for talented individuals able to function effectively in broad areas that transcend particular fields, the School of Engineering’s departments, which by then had been subdivided into twelve in all, were reorganized into four DIVISION.

Thus, the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Department of Metallurgical Engineering became the Division of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science; the Department of Applied Chemistry, Department of Materials Chemistry (formerly, the Department of Electrochemistry), Department of Chemical Engineering, Department of Safety Engineering, and Research Institute for Energy Materials became the Division of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering; the Department of Architecture and Building Science, Department of Civil Engineering, and Department of Systems Design for Ocean-Space (formerly, the Naval Architecture Department) became the Division of Civil Engineering, Architecture and Marine Technology; and the Department of Electrical Engineering and Department of Computer Engineering became the Division of Electrical and Computer Engineering. In Second Section, the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Department of Applied Chemistry were reorganized into, respectively, the Second Section’s Division of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science and the Second Section’s Division of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering, making it possible to provide advanced education not only to working youth but also to adults.

1997: Establishment of a New Division

A Division of Physics, of which there are few in the capital region, was established in October 1997, in order to further strengthen our education in science and engineering.

●The Evolution of the School of Engineering’s Departments and DIVISION

1949 5 departments: Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Architecture and Building Science, Naval Architecture, Electrical Engineering
1985 4 DIVISION: Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science; Materials Science and Chemical Engineering; Civil Engineering, Architecture and Marine Technology; Electrical and Computer Engineering
1997 5 DIVISION: Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science; Materials Science and Chemical Engineering; Civil Engineering, Architecture and Marine Technology; Electrical and Computer Engineering; Physics

●The History of Each of the School of Engineering’s DIVISION

Year
Division of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Division of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering
Division of Civil Engineering, Architecture and Marine Technology
Division of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Division of Physics
1920 Founding of Yokohama Industrial High School
  Department of Mechanical Engineering Department of Applied Chemistry Department of Electrochemistry      
1925     Department of Architecture and Building Science    
1929     Department of Naval Architecture    
1938     Department of Aviation Engineering
(until 1945)
   
1944 Yokohama Industrial High School becomes Yokohama Institute of Technology (until 1951).
  Department of Machinery
(←Mechanical Engineering Department)
Department of Industrial Chemistry
(←Department of Applied Chemistry), Department of Electrochemistry
(←Department of Electrochemistry)
Department of Architecture
(←Department of Architecture and Building Science),
Department of Naval Architecture
(←Department of Naval Architecture)
   
1945       Department of Electricity  
1949 Yokohama National University School of Engineering begins.
  Department of Mechanical Engineering, Second Section’s Department of Mechanical Engineering Department of Industrial Chemistry, Second Section’s Department of Industrial Chemistry and Department of Electrochemistry Department of Architecture and Building Science,
Department of Naval Architecture
Department of Electrical Engineering  
1958 Department of Metallurgical Engineering        
1962   Department of Applied Chemistry・ Second Section's Department of Applied Chemical (←Department of Industrial Chemistry, Second Section's Department of Industrial Chemistry) Department of Chemical Engineering      
1967   Department of Safety Engineering      
1970 Deparment of Mechanical Engineering II        
1974       Department of Computer Engineering  
1977   Department of Materials Chemistry(←Department of Electrochemistry)      
1978     Department of Civil Engineering    
1979     Deparment of Naval Architecture and Marine Technology    
1985 Faculty of Engineering were reorganized
  Division of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science・Second Section's Division of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science(←Deparment of Mechanical Engineering,Deparment of Mechanical Engineering II・Second Section's Department of Mechanical Engineering) Division of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering・Second Section's Department of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering (←Department of Applied Chemistry ,Deparment of Materials Chemistry,Department of Chemical Engineering,Department of Safety Engineering・Second Section's Department of Applied Chemistry II) Division of Civil Engineering, Architecture and Marine Technology (←Department of Architecture,Deparment of Naval Architecture and Marine Technology,Department of Civil Engineering) (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering←Department of Electrical Engineering,Department of Computer Engineering)  
1997         Division of Physics
2007 Second Section of School of Engieering closed.
2010 To the present

PAGE TOP